Tuesday Volunteer Work Group
Our club is unique in that all of our routine maintenance, and quite a lot of the smaller projects that improve our lake, clubhouse and extensive grounds are carried out by a willing band of volunteer members. We are known as the Tuesday Volunteer Work Group consisting of members, mainly retired who enjoy meeting up with friends and getting down to the very important and vital tasks that keep our club ticking over.
The things we do include:
- Maintaining the safety boats & trailers, engine servicing etc
- Maintaining the dam
- Keeping tree branches and reeds growing at the side of the lake trimmed back
- Having bonfires to dispose of the results of the above
- Checking the lake water level
- Checking the quality and temperature of water in the clubhouse
- Clearing ditches
- Ensuring supplies of hot and cold drinks and loo rolls are always available
- And that great catch-all that is on almost every job description – any other general maintenance work, as required!
In the past we have taken on some very major projects, including replacing the penstock valve, and we are willing to do whatever we can to save the club the expense of hiring contractors. However, when jobs are too big, or too complex for us, we are happy to commission and liaise with contractors as we did so successfully when our access road was built and two of our jetties were replaced.
We also organise occasional outings for members of our group and have enjoyed days out at RAF Hendon, Brooklands Museum, and the RNLI HQ in Poole. If you think that you would like to join this happy band of volunteers come along one Tuesday morning any time between about 09.30 and 13.30 and see what we do. You will be made very welcome, especially if you bring biscuits.